The first time I heard this song was when I entered seminary in September, 2005. At Saint Paul School of Theology in Kansas City, it was sung every noon, Tuesday through Thursday, before one from our community led us in prayer over our community meal. For one semester, or maybe it was the whole year, In the Lord became our anchoring call to prayer before our meal prayer.
For me, In the Lord also became a musical reminder that God is always near. To help me through all of the unknowns and firsts of seminary. And there were many, let me tell you!
It also reminds me, to this day, that there is always reason to be thankful to God. There is always, in every situation or circumstance, something to celebrate. So we should lift our voices in song or prayer with thankfulness.
In you, Lord, I am ever thankful for …
- Walking buddies of today and of times gone by … and the wisdom sharing in those daily travels.
- Opportunities to explore God’s world and meet God’s people in all walks of life … here at home and around the world.
- Friends and family who love me, or at least tolerate me, in spite of my limitations.
- The ability to think and reason and feel and imagine and hope and create and love.
- The call on my life to shepherd God’s flock … wherever, whenever.
- Susan Vogel for introducing this song to the largest incoming class of first-year students that Saint Paul School of Theology had welcomed in some time. And for its anchoring effect in my life.